Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A Dark And Stormy Night

I guess that somewhere out there there's someone who thinks that songs about snow falling and sitting by the fire roasting chestnuts are as out of place as a nun in a whore house, considering the Singaporean landscape.

Walking back to the bus stop next to church, I couldn't help but notice.

There was a certain forlornity in the sky. It's queer, but it was a sky that seemed sad. Was it contrast? The lines and lines of Christmas lights across the streets just came across as lonely. Where someone would be greeted with neverending pristine snow against a backdrop of still darkness; scattered yellow streams across the streets and a breath of white to warm your hands - a scenery of yellow sparkles against black. As if an entire colour was missing from the picture.

Was it company? Thoughts that wouldn't even have appeared in my mind had I been distracted by conversation with others. The fact that everyone was on their way back home, and mine happened to be different from the other two. Was I just projecting my feelings upon the view presented to me by the world? A mere coincidence that I happened to see this alone?

For a while, though, it just felt like I was the only person around. Really, I was. Being around in the SMU campus where there are large open fields of nothing when no one is around isn't the best way to give you the impression that there are fellow humans around.

But for the most of it, it was just me and the pitch black sky. A sky that made you think, wonder and awe. Perhaps Christmas' lingering feeling really is more artificial than I have imagined it to be.

No comments: