Saturday, April 18, 2009

Thanks to the Minibus

On the way back from Jarrel's house, I started to fiddle around with my phone while waiting for the bus to come.

173 came and left and I started chasing it like a madman. Of course, when you chase a bus that's driving in an empty lane you tend to only go for about 200 meters before it goes beyond salvageable distance and you're screwed, but I ran anyway.

As it turned around the bend, I gave up and started walking. Just then, this minibus pulls over along the roadside and the driver signals at me. I think it's a shuttle bus, and tilt my head, wondering what he's saying. He opens the door and tells me to get in. I do, and he tells me he'll help me get to the bus stop in front. He does just that.

Whoever is the driver of the minibus PA10B, thanks very much for the lift. You certainly helped this young'un a lot.

-------------------------------------------------

"when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it."
- The Alchemist, Paul Coelho, p. 23

It's a line I think about at times. Does the universe favour those who want something, those who bear conviction? Thinking about individuals living nearly on luck is enough of a counter to the point. Then why does the universe conspire to help you achieve something you want?

When I think about it, perhaps it's not the universe. Perhaps it's the inhabitants of the universe that help you to achieve it. You and I.

When you see the world change, you want to take part in it. It's a bandwagon of change, of a potentially big thing, and this is your chance to join in. Who wouldn't take the chance?

Even if you don't, of course, you could always just give moral support. Let the person know that you're there to help him up when he's down, or something of that sort. It keeps the person going. And human sympathy tends to drive us towards giving moral support to people who are doing big things anyway.

It's rather fascinating to think that people tend to be driven by emotional, rational and natural forces to help people doing things out of the ordinary.

"If a man knows not what harbour he seeks, any wind is the right wind."
- Seneca

Why so? Perhaps because whichever land he ended up on, he would've found men who would help on his journey.

No comments: