Monday, December 25, 2006

Christmastime

Albert: I'm sorry if talking to that guy and getting lost made Christmas any less enjoyable, Innocia.

Innocia: Albert, maybe you just need to lighten up a bit. It's Christmas isn't it? Why not smile, be happy?

Albert: Christmas is indeed here, though just a shred of its former self. Perhaps it comes with age, or perhaps it comes with time. But I know that the silver bells ring no longer for me.

Innocia: Why do you say that?

Mera: While I am just a stranger, I can kind of understand him. Christmas of the past was more... unstained. After a while, Innocia, as children grow up, they tend to stop running around so much, and start to reflect more. In the past, usually minute things were what made me happy, and when you grow up, it really takes more than just one's relative dressing as Santa to make one happy. Maybe it's something that comes around with maturity, but it's more a sort of payback than a byproduct.

Innocia: Yet I am perfectly happy here with my brother and my benefactor, even without any presents. I doubt I can be very much more mature than you. It seems more like Albert has forgotten to take things easy, and feels too guilty for letting me run off.

Albert: It's more than just a feeling of guilt, sis. I quite agree with Mera here. Let me ask you something, Innocia. Do you remember the song, Silver Bells?

Innocia: ...yeah, but why?

Albert: What kind of bells do you think the song writer was thinking of when he or she wrote that song?

Innocia: Light, ringing handbells?

Albert: Yet they no longer exist. What you hear is the loud resounding echoes of the church bell calling because it's Sunday, not on the forthcoming on Christmas nor because it's its Eve. Delicate chimes exist no longer here, only loud resounds.

Innocia: I have to disagree with you here. Do you hear the bells?

Albert: There're bells?

Mera: ...ever so faintly. From that stray?

Innocia: More than that. Look at that couple entering the store. Do you hear the bells? An announcement is being made right now. Did you hear the bells? Look at the carollers there. Do you hear the bells? Look at the man dressing as Santa, riding that mechanical sleigh with a child in his embrace. Do you hear the bells? They have never stopped ringing for you, brother. You have just grown slightly deaf to the subtle sounds of serenity, the silver bells of Christmas. Christmas has never stopped for you, you have just grown slightly indifferent towards its spirit, caring about experiences. You just need to notice it again, Albert.

Albert: ...I guess. I'm sorry for making you say all this to me on Christmas.

Innocia: What are you saying? After all that, you're still being like this! Do I have to force you to be happy? ...nevermind. I wanna eat something. Come on, Albert!

(Innocia runs towards a cafe and waves at Albert.)

Albert: She's... changed quite a bit since I lost her. Though it's only been one or two days...

Mera: Children can be strong-willed and mature at times too. You just need to give them the chance to show that dreams are part of reality as well. Don't you think so? Come on, cheer up. I know you just got lectured by your younger sister, but don't act so pathetic. Seeing you so grey and her so white makes me feel rather sad for you.

Albert: I suppose.

Innocia: What're you two doing?! Can't you let a little girl have a happy Christmas without starving?

No comments: