Friday, December 22, 2006

Mera and Innocia

Innocia: Why're you so quiet, Mera?

Mera: That's not a good question to ask someone who's helping you find your brother. Why do you think I'm quiet, then?

Innocia: I don't know. Isn't that why I asked you? Christmas is a time for celebrations. Shouldn't you be happier? Being so silent feels rather sad.

Mera: I've been living life alone for some time. Doesn't talking require a second party? I guess I just get used to it. What about you, then? Why're you so happy and going around so carefreely even though you can't find your brother? Shouldn't you be the least bit worried?

Innocia: My brother wanted me to have a happy Christmas. If I started worrying now and cried, I would remember me crying a few days before Christmas along with me having a happy Christmas celebration. If I worried now and still can't find him, it would be even worse. I wouldn't remember anything happy about Christmas. Wouldn't that be against what my brother wants? ...does that sound weird?

Mera: ...for someone your age, yes. But I suppose that is also the reason why your aura doesn't show itself in the snow; your inner self is pure, your emotions are as your name is.

Innocia: Aura? Inner self? Emotions?

Mera: Nevermind. Only the rarest of synaesthates would understand me. Let's find your brother, shall we? Even your happy self can't stay that way forever. ...or maybe it can?

---------------------------------------------------------------

"They wanted us to have memories. If we concentrate on just fighting alone, we'd never be able to create good memories, would we? And if we don't have memories after the battle is over, we'd forget how to live altogether. And we'd think only of battles and how to fight them... so don't make fighting your only ambition in life.

-- Maya, Soukyuu no Fafner (Odex Translation)

No comments: