Monday, September 17, 2007

Youth

Enjoy the Spring of Love and Youth, to some good angel leave the rest;
For Time will teach thee soon the truth, there are no birds in last year's nest
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

A long four years, and still two to go. Yet maybe by the end of this I'll have already wisened up more than I already have (Self-praise or denouncement for you to decide). Who knows? Maybe I'll really be the rambling old fool that some people have already perceived me to be up till now, and perhaps even more.

There was a very strange feeling involved in climbing into class via the top window. At 11pm of 18th Sep, I've already forgotten what that feeling was. Was it a simple feeling of achievement? One of "That was easier than I thought" or "I should've done this earlier"? Maybe neither. I don't know anymore.

It was rather ironic, wasn't it? XM and I just jumped in, cleaned ourselves off and just think "That was fun" while everyone else is outside. After a while everyone gets into class when the key finally comes back from the hands of the Hoblet, everyone was like GO HERR GO XM and then when I go around myself everyone agrees with me saying that I've been a bad influence on XM.

Ironic, isn't it? How people praise and condemn the exact same things at pretty much the same time. After I went to ask XM whether I influenced him to make that choice in any way, it was kind of with a sigh of relief that I found out the answer was no. But think about it; not much really dictated our actions to not involve climbing into class, right?

I miss a point where our class was slightly crazier. Slightly more without a care in the world. I still remember a short film that a bunch of Sec 1 GEP students made. I still remember the Sec 2 GEP party with all its general happiness, humour, photos and uninvited guests. I can't remember much of Sec 3. Not much of Sec 4.

And completely ironically I myself am also at fault. It's all a certain sort of emotional baggage that pushes us towards this kind of self we are now, right?

Haha, I promised to have a toast with a friend against 5cm/s. Perhaps last year I would've done something else. Perhaps the year before I might not have even done anything. Perhaps next year I'll be serving a drink for him. Perhaps the year after that I'd be with him, couple 'o friends and maybe a teacher or two at a recommended pub, maybe ask for a discount from home haha.

When you look back at all this, you tend to think "Wow, I've really changed since then, haven't I?" but who really actively makes sure that this occurs? Really, how many of us actually consciously lead a youthful life rather than subconsciously?

On 19th, XM and I were walking back from swimming and I ended up bringing up the topic of how we should get others to climb into class, yet I did not know why we should've done that. Then he gave the answer that was always there but always hidden - it was something that we couldn't do in the future as adults. It was truly an action that only one our age was capable of doing. And consciously, that did feel far more like the life of a random youth.

And we did try to climb into class. The simple drill; look left, look right, make sure people pass, then with one at the front door and one at the back door, both jump up and climb in simultaneously.

I got a cramp halfway doing so. XM went in without a problem. He's born in November.

Maybe I really am an old man now, huh.

No comments: