Monday, July 20, 2009

A letter from the past; a letter from the future

To: The Me of the Future.

Dear Me of the Future:

Hi there, me. I'm sure you know who I am, so introductions aren't necessary. It's been a while, hasn't it? If you can't remember, I'm 15. I'm sorry about not knowing how old you are, but I can't help it. I don't know the future.

How's life for you? What're you doing right now? Where are you? How're your parents? Friends? Doing fine? Mine are.

I know you're wondering why I'm writing a letter to you. There's some things I can only tell you. I can't tell anyone else - not my friends, not my parents, no one. They're my pains and problems, and only I can listen to them. I know it's a bit selfish, but please let me take up a bit of your precious time while you read this.

I miss the past.

I miss the fun I had as a child. Playing at the playground with whoever comes along. Catching, freeze and melt, crocodile, and blind mice. The carefree days that will never return.

I miss my childhood.

Life currently is all about work. All about competition. All about aiming high. I can't take any of that. I'm afraid of turning into you. I've no idea what it feels like to be you. Will it be scary? Will it be painful? Will it be sad? I don't know. Sometimes life is good. But what if it disappears? Will it be gone forever? Will I never see it again? Will the future eternally be bleaker than the present?

I'm breaking down.

I want to cry. I'm afraid. I can't take life. It's tough. I don't know who to confide in. I can only confide in you. Myself. No one else. Who else do I share this heart with? Who else can I share this heart with?

I'm going to give up. I'm going to cry. I'm going to disappear. It's painful. Who do I listen to?

My heart keeps getting broken. Shattered. Smashed by the life around me. The stress and pain of it all.

I can't carry on. I miss the past. I'm afraid of the future.

Love,
Me.

--------------------------------------------------------------

To: The Me of the Past

Dear Me of the Past,

Thank you for your letter. It's been very long since I kept in touch with you, hasn't it? Time flies, and before you know it you're many many years older. I'm a bit insecure about this, so I'll have to keep it a secret from you, sorry.

There're many things I'd like to say to you, the 15-year old me. But most of that will have to come in later letters. Let's do the most important things now, shall we?

I miss the past too.

It's true. The past shines brightly. But dear, you have to realize that there is a difference between "the past was full of good times" and "the past was full of good times too". People can only see the bad side of the present, rarely the good. Yet people can only see the good side of the past, rarely the bad. Life right now is better than you think. Believe me - I like my life right now, and the past still shines as brightly. Even the time you're living in right now.

Believe in yourself.

Find out who you are. I don't know how or when I did it, so I can't give you any advice here. But never stop asking, no matter how painful it may be at times. The day you stop asking who you are and why you do things you cease to be yourself. You cease to live, only exist. And once you cease to live you fail to realize the beauty of life right at this very moment. Life is beautiful, dear.

Keep on believing.

Please don't give up; please don't cry. When you ever feel like you're about to disappear off the face of the earth, just listen to your own voice. Listen to it. Trust it. Trust the path that you're walking down. The life of a youth is tough, stressful, painful. But trust yourself and take one step every day towards the bright future awaiting you.

Never stop believing.

Adults have it tough too. Sometimes I feel like giving up. Sometimes I feel like crying. Sometimes I feel like disappearing. Life is painful even for me. But life's sweet too. And that's life. That's how I live it.

Everything in life has a meaning. The painful times, the happy times, the sad times, the frustrating times. So don't be scared of it. There's a reason why it happens. Just embrace your dreams and keep on believing.

Keep on believing, keep on believing.

Life will be painful no matter what times you live in. Running away from pain will never be enough. So just smile. And live out every single day with a smile.

Love,
Me.

--------------------------------------------------------------

To: Me

Dear Me,

I wish for your happiness.

Love,
Me of the Present.

--------------------------------------------------------------

From a rather beautiful song. Rather unoriginal, but ah well. I shall not take credit for any idea here.

No comments: