Sunday, January 29, 2006

CNY

Chinese New Year has reared its head (Beautiful or ugly is beside the point) once again and I found myself at Grandfather's place for the afternoon-till-nights yesterday and today.

Around 8pm or so, we didn't really have much to do. Mum was talking to Grandpa, Grandma was watching TV in her room (I think, I didn't see her), Dad was watching the big TV in the living room. Gwin was tired and doing nothing of particular importance. I did similar. Around 9 or so Gwin fell asleep. I tried not to, entertained myself by doing some stuff etc watching MvC2 vids, GG vids, Diet Coke + Mentos vids, etc. I still kena very bored leh. Dad watched TV until 10.30pm before we left.

I suppose many of you are familiar with ideas regarding the modernization of society to the extent that we lose the heritage of the Chinese. Can't remember, use that Rafflesian poem we had in Sec 1.

Everyone can notice the obvious problem of kids Westernizing in a Chinese environment and a language generation gap developing between parents and children. But no one ever took notice of a different question going on behind. Yep, it's the whodunnit question. While points can be raised for both sides, that's not the point. The thing is that both sides will indefinitely place the blame on the other person without any reason whatsoever apart from pushing blame for the sake of pushing blame. >_>

But honestly, are people helping? My dad watcheth TV for 2 hours straight without moving an inch. Pro hax, but it's not actually helping the issue. Is it my fault? I'm not sure, but I'm probably not going to be wrong for saying that it most likely ain't my fault.

I guess hypocrisy goes both sides, eh. >_>

-------------------------------------------------------

One can judge what kind of judgement and filters a society is placed by its stereotypes. In America, people are judged by their races. Black people get called niggers by Americans, white people get called crackers by others, and Azns lik us r called teh azn penoy didder shiz. Ok, no, we're called chinks. How random >_>

In ancient societies, one could see a caste going on between the upper class and lower classes (Obviously one could see a caste, otherwise there wouldn't be an upper/lower class in the first place >_>) It was a caste between the rich and the poor, the aristocrats and the workers, the brahmins and the artisans (I forgot what their calling was).

Only in Singapore do you get stereotyping going on between GEPpers and Mainstreamers. Amazing what meritocracy does to you, huh. o_O

No comments: