Saturday, January 03, 2009

Mr and Mrs. Mark Tay

It's been a most beautiful wedding. The most wonderful I've seen in my life. (Skeptics who say I have lived a short life should know that adults felt the same way, albeit 'amongst the most' instead of 'most'.)

What made it so special? Was it the song? The purity and truth in its lines and lyrics?

Perhaps it's a bit of the lyrics. A song about the friend we had in Jesus. About what life really is. About Jesus. A friend who's there and will care for you and shoulder all your burdens. A beautiful song for a beautiful ceremony.

Was it the pastor? The meditation was charming, truthful and beautiful, even if it were informal at times.

Perhaps it's a bit of the pastor. Though her talking I knew that even moreso than as a pastor overseeing a marriage, she seemed like a mother, a caring wise mother of a handsome man and a beautiful woman. But what could the pastor alone do?

But I think the one most beautiful aspect of it was the bride and the groom themselves. The fact that it seemed so much like a wedding, yet so much unlike it at the same time. There was nothing fake about it. There was no need to pretend. No formalities despite the formality. The groom and bride really were the happiest and luckiest people on Earth that very moment. It didn't feel as much like a wedding as much as like a celebration. I realize a wedding is a celebration, but the word wedding feels more ceremonial in nature. It's different to me altogether.

The bride's bouncy nature, the groom's cheerful reciprocation of it, and more importantly the fact that we all know that that's how they act all the time. The fact that you don't really actually have to wait for a pastor to say you may kiss the bride to kiss her. That you don't need to just stay in place all the way and wait for visual cues and all sorts of stuff. There was a natural feel to it (this belittles the entire thing. I'm sorry)

What is a marriage? Two people coming together and living together for eternity, isn't it? Then why the need for formality? Why the need for putting up fronts? Why the trouble to say 'I do'?

I believe I truly saw love in every action they made. I believe the entire church-worth of guests did too. I believe they will be happy.

As little as I may know you two, I wish for eternal happiness for the both of you. Congratulations, Mr and Mrs. Mark Tay.

No comments: