Saturday, July 16, 2005

Lectures

Doing some reflection on what Mrs. Lena Yeo said Friday.

Education is for people to learn, understand, and more importantly (According to her), to know their place in society.

Now what part of that doesn't sound right? Hmm. I don't know. The last, I guess.

What's she trying to be? Authoritarian? Enlightener? I have no idea.

Why is it that we should learn of our place in society? Since when was there a strict ruling on our places in society? It's as if she's mocking our status. Yeah, we're students, does that mean that our fates are sealed until we become adults? I THINK NOT. She mocks us in her claim that we are but mere peope there to submit to authority!

*Man, does this sound revolutionist.*

Ok, what I'm trying to say is, why should we let our status quo decide on how far we can go into the unsafe zone of questioning authority or being close to it? Granted, there's obviously points where you've just gone too far, like asking a teacher for a date or fighting with him. But seriously, since when was the line so fine and clear? I somehow remember it being a VERY grey area. Why do I say this? Look at Michael. THAT'S why I say it.

...what? >_>

Anyway. I don't think that we should just let our alleged-immature stereotype let us go around actually thinking that we should submit to the authority by virtue of his position. After all, there's something that made us respect DT and Jasbir Singh more than Grace Khoo, right? It's the fact that they closed the gap between authorities somewhat. Of course they made sure they didn't become like friends with us, since that way we'd get illusioned into thinking we could play around with them. (IOW they'll lose their jobs >_>)

That, and Grace Khoo was an utter jerk. Umm, I didn't say that.

Why is it that education should let us be aware of our position in society? I somehow remember a word for people who went against the flow of the world. Oh yeah, it rhymes with my name. The word's "Maverick". Incidentally that's one of the words I like (Mostly because it's hard to find words that rhyme with me name.). Ok, fine, education should let us be aware of our position in society, but by no means should it restrict us or alter our thinking into believing that that position cannot be challenged. Because well, let's say that this position is perspective and relative.

*sigh* Done my ranting. Comments?

No comments: