Friday, October 19, 2007

Results

And I can rest at last.

As much as I would berate myself for losing out to a number of people, I have rather little idea as to how well the classes did as a whole, so I don't even know if this is a good score or not.

I don't know whether I'm on middle or higher ground, but given how people have gotten 88 and 89 for averages, I'm far. A tad far, if tad were 10 marks and more. Was it effort? Was it skill? I really have no idea what set us apart, even though I really bear no hope at nearing that level.

"Hey, what did you get?"
"Sucks lah, 77 only. You?"
"Same. So don't call it sucky, ok?"
- Between The Eighteenth and Twentieth

Though I do agree secretly. Ironic how much I hated those overachievers who failed to overachieve, when two years down the road I end up the same. That's life for you, I suppose.

I'm thankful for my Amath grade which I do need to thank Rick for. Chem and Physics, not much to say. Geog was a pleasant surprise, Language Arts a rude shock. Chinese and Cmath were, well, well as always. IHS was good, I suppose.

I remember in Term 3 that I needed to work hard. I remember in Term 3 that I did work hard. And those around me probably can testify to that. I remember a wager with a friend over results, speculating that we would do rather equal. He beat my average by 6 marks.

I remember walking up and down the overhead bridge on my way to tuition, a path I chose myself. I remember telling myself that I would work hard so I wouldn't repeat my mistakes in Term 2.

Now imagine that everyone in the examination hall has pretty much as much motivation as you while undertaking the final examinations. While definitely not everyone is like this, and definitely there are those who don't study alot and still get way higher than I ever will, but it's still quite a scary thought in itself how conviction is possibly far more commonplace than anyone actually imagines. Perhaps for differing reasons, but pretty much close to everyone takes tuition. There're those who keep trying to aim for top even when they already are.

It's really hard to actually appreciate the amount of effort people actually put into something until you yourself try to emulate as such. But I'll suppose I'll forget all that soon enough.

No comments: