Monday, August 04, 2008

Disrespect, Continuation of Klow's Post

(A continuation of the post by Edna.)

I first have to openly admit that in general I'm inclined to bear zero respect for teachers. There is, regretfully, a tendency for a teacher to not know what he is supposed to teach - and in the case where he is, lack other essential skills to being a good teacher that causes said disrespect once again. "Teachers are people too", some say. Sure they are; teaching's a tough job too, the child's a tough crowd as any to please. Then the parents. Then your boss. We can all say "Go find a better job for you", but they're not really in it for the cash or whatnot, are they. Well, not always, at least. Most other jobs tend to pay better as far as I know. >_> If anyone were to help provide statistics, that'd be helpful.

Perhaps it was all a series of unfortunate circumstances. People think that a lecture on rather redundant stuff needs to be done, the expert is called in, finds out that s/he has to spend one whole hour just talking about this, and reluctantly takes the job, knowing that no one will listen. Staff aren't that stupid after all - some lectures work, and some just don't no matter how hard you try. And some are just plain disastrous.

I could probably sympathize with a person facing such a situation - not everyone likes to face the silent crowds even if they have to. But do I respect such a person?

I remember just last year the same comment was made by the same person - save that the party in question being disrespected against was a student - and of course the person next to me commented.

Why the hell do I respect a person if he talks about stuff that I take as already-known knowledge? Is there anything of value in listening? If not, isn't it disrespectful to force another party to listen to the same thing again?

Lectures need content and viewpoints to be interesting. Speakers are a plus-point. If there's nothing to it, isn't it just a valueless monologue? Why am I subjected to listening to such stuff? Don't I have something better to do with my time? Aren't there many things on the to-do list that are being pushed back due to this?

A bunch of people were let off early. Why? Because they 'respected' the lecturer in question? No! They're very likely just as guilty of it! Yet by virtue of age and social standing they are let go - as if it is a human right to avoid a scolding by a fellow colleague.

I respect the teacher in question for his trust towards the innocent to go free and for the rest to at least feel guilty enough to stay on their own. I sure don't feel guilty, but I know that in the context I was wrong and should at least face certain consequences. There were those who didn't give a damn about a person's trust and just moved off, but moral integrity is another side of the coin. One I suppose particular people don't have a damn about (Thankfully I can't think of any person in mind when I say this. I live with pretty good people I suppose)

But no. I have no respect for a person who disrespects me, out of intention or out of circumstance. At least this was circumstantial. The disrespect that some teachers give is ._.

No comments: