Monday, January 10, 2005

Tsunami Controvesy

Dirtyjerzpage

Most of you have read it. If you haven't, read, but don't go overly angry. Everyday ego, everyday vulgarities, everyday jerk behavior, nothing new in America. (End stereotype).

Zhang doesn't wish to comment on it.
Gid's commented on his blog.
Kevin's commented on his blog.
Mike's commented on his blog.
DT's commented on his blog.
50+ comments were made on Jerz's blog, and counting. Some of us didn't comment on the blog itself, but have our own opinions, such as myself, DT, and Kevin, so I'm adding 15 to make 65+, which is a reasonable addition. Quite alot for one topic, if I do say so myself.

I wouldn't go as far as going he's an ultimate jerk, because in my opinion there is some truth in his statement. Then again, there is truth and every lie and a lie in every truth, and he had a whole ton of stupid ideas (Not lies) and basically a few lies here and there. Mostly stupid ideas. Little lies, little truth.

I will, however, agree that he has gone over the line quite a fair bit. But if you look at it again, haven't majority of the comments also done that?

(Begin idealistic views)

If they'd stop fighting fire with fire maybe things would've gone a little better.

(End idealistic views)

Yes, many people are donating out of symphathy, but majority of us are also instantly accusing other people of being heartless the moment they don't donate. Are you seriously capable of saying "I will touch the hearts of many people out there with my donations"? Even if you were, would people out there actually be touched?

Call me heartless, but with the constant talk about everyone donating to the tsunami and people labelling others as heartless makes me rather cynical. One donates, one doesn't donate. We all have reasons for donating, and there are those who don't. While it is sad that there are people who have such reasons not to donate, like Jay; there's also the people who donate just so they look good. This is, if you don't notice, a really good chance for a small country like Singapore to get on really good terms with Indonesia if it hasn't. Get my drift? It's too controversial to take a perfect stand on. While it's quite obvious one should donate in such a small context such as school, what about the big picture? There's plenty of ulterior motives to donating then.

People could all just donate huge sums of money, and others who don't could just laugh at them. We'd just call them heartless, and they'd laugh at us again for thinking we're angels. What good would it do?

Sure, he's a jerk, but aren't we just as jerkish as him? We're here to donate, not force people to and label them heartless when they don't.

He tried to get fame by controvesy, and he sure succeeded.

Go ahead, flame me now if you wish. I'm rather interested, though, to see replys that aren't like the first comment of Dirtyjerz's latest entry.

*Yes, I do know his name is Jay, but I'd rather not refer to it since I don't actually know him, or talked to him at all.*

-------------------------------------------

7 Brownies eaten,
6 Dollars debted,
NO HOMEWORK! YEAH!
4 Lit Reviews,
3 Pages Zhuo Ye,
Commonwealth Essay,
An assignment and a Zhou Ji!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: