Saturday, March 04, 2006

Gwin, A Levels and Moi

So my bro did badly for his A-Levels.

With that comes immense worry from Mom and Dad, particularly mom. Now she's been worrying head over tails about my results, because I failed my A Math and my Chinese. Telling me to stop using the com so much, playing the PS2 so much, etc etc.

How often do I use the com? 4-11, 8-11, 4-11, 8-11, 7-11, assuming I've no homework at all for the whole week. To not use the com so much? Fair enough.

She says that I'm doing badly because I'm neglecting all my work and stuff. While I will admit I neglect my A Math and HCL quite a fair bit, I will also state rather clearly that I am bad at those subjects. Physics too, but I somehow managed to get a decent score on that. Dunno how. o_O

The only results I've shown her so far are my A Math and Chinese, mainly because I don't see any good in showing her that I passed CMath or LArts or Chem or whatever. After all, how many parents out there actually praise their son/daughter for being among the huge amount of people who passed? Last time I did well for Y2 mom was pleasantly surprised; yet I hardly recall her saying anything particularly memorable to me. Have I been brought up to ignore every single compliment said to me; or have I been placed upon a situation where doing well no longer grants any merits of its own? I could care less about doing badly if others could care less about me doing well.

She told me that as a mother, she has to worry about me. I told her that I already got a number of results back and only showed her those where I did badly on; she said that that was not the point. The booklist had so many reference books; I had yet to read them. That worried her.

As much as I would like to be an utter jerk and completely indulge myself in reference books and completely kick her out of my acknowledgement for one week, something (Namely everyone else and my own conscience) tells me that that won't be a good idea.

Would she worry so much about me if my bro did particularly well for his A Levels? She told me that Gwin already did badly for his A Levels, what would happen if I fell down that route too?
Would she worry so much about me if I showed her my results for my other subjects? Or would she worry even more because my results were only decent and not amazing?

I have to be thankful that my mom is not one who threatens her child unlike Daniel's, but then again no one's mom is perfect. Haiz, it's really annoying when your mom ignores you for some time, then suddenly shows immense worry for you, then suddenly reverts back to ignoring me.

No comments: