Sunday, March 26, 2006

UYOs

Kev talked so much about UYO in his recent blog, talking about how bad UYO was. I dunno, but I'm rather sure he also had this wondering about why I 'liked' UYO.

When I was first transferred from Band into SJAB, it was because of time issues; Band took up too much time and I couldn't have a 2nd CCA, which was compulsory at that time. I heard stuff from Mike and KW about how slack SJAB was, and besides, my friends were there, I'm not interested in NCC, so hey, why not. My first day was going to be March Camp.

On the first day of March Camp I entered my room (one of the GE classrooms. Was it 2.12? I can't remember. I think so.) then I came out. I kena 60 pumping withn 10 minutes of joining SJAB. Uhh. >_>

I remember when I was in Sec 2 everything was damn slack for camp (Why this is so, SJAB people know already, so.). I was pissed off at Andrew who was like I CAN'T TAKE THIS ANYMORE I HATE THIS I HATE THIS. I mean, I survived 500 pumping and you can't take 20? This is a joke. And he's still the joker.

I remember when I learnt CPR in Sec 1, we only learnt one; the one where everything went well. They talked about unconscious choking and never taught us what to do then. I remember when I learnt CPR in Sec 2, we only recapped one and didn't learn any others; the one where everything went well. They talked about unconscious choking and never taught us what to do then.

By Sec 3, I knew the senior's MSN addresses and eventually asked John B to teach me what to do in the case of unconscious choking, pulmonary edema and lung punctures. I don't know, but I don't think FA should be taught to those with initiative.

I remember that when I was Sec 2, Mike KW and I were resolving to make SJAB more reasonable/slack/etc. I remember that I wanted to become a Staff Sergeant. I remember that I wanted to get the Sword of Honour. Why? Prestige. I wanted to work hard towards that goal. I didn't.

I wanted to change SJAB. I wanted to be a Staff so I could do that. Oh what am I saying; I just wanted to be a Staff for the heck of it >_>. But seriously, I was out to try and change SJAB. I remember disagreeing with KW about SJAB and First Aid, thinking that we already had learnt sufficient. After I went through March Camp, I suddenly realize that I had learnt nothing about First Aid in my first two years. CPR? Only one way. Full Body Immobilization? Only for spinal injuries. Burns? Water ftw. Fracture? Armsling / Lower body immobilization. Evisceration? Aah, everyone knows this one.

But in life cases have as many permutations as chess does; what am I going to do when something else occurs? David Tan asked me who the team that won first for the FAC Nationals (They said it was inter-UYO, so.) and remarked that it could possibly be BB. I was pissed and said that was retarded. He remarked that BB did First Aid too; and SJAB didn't teach much FA. If BB has a bloody team for Bible Quiz and Scouts has a team for campcraft or other stuff, and NCC has a team for shooting, why the bloody hell wouldn't we have a team for first aid?

Now that I've the March Camp FA paper with me I can now go around smiting blesphemers who say that BB does FA too! When I tell them that other UYOs don't learn FA like SJAB.

But honestly, I had a pride in SJAB. Simultaneously, I wanted to change it. I suddenly realized that SJAB really didn't teach enough FA like KW said, after one lecture from Edward. And for SJAB to really be SJAB, we need, like Ben Tan (Aah it's a blog I hope you don't mind me not referring to you as Sir here >_>) said, each and every cadet to be as good as Edward Lee in terms of FA.

Y'know, I have to be thankful. Edward really did change SJAB, and I the newcomer when he changed everything. At the same time I realize that teh discipline is dropping seriously. Hmm.

I wanted to change things and be a Staff to do that, but now I know that I need not; they're others who've already fought the battle before I even started. My duty is now to make sure that SJAB changes for the better, and not for the worse.

For this, I will retain my pride in SJAB and stay proud of it. There is a calling; I have a job to do. Unlike Kev I cannot fall back because I dislike any aspect of SJAB; I still have much stuff I want to do as a member of SJAB than he does as a member of NPCC(L).

No comments: