Thursday, April 20, 2006

Mr. Sean Choo >_>

Mr Sean Choo said to us today, verily:

If you have something you dislike with the school, then you can leave the school. You can talk to me or any of the teachers, and we can arrange for you to be transferred out. (Paraphrased but with general wording intact, Mr Sean Choo 2006.)

OHKAY.

While I've heard that statement a number of times, mainly in regards to UYO, this is a new context. And I fail to understand the reasoning behind that statement. While, somewhat agreeably, obvious, further understanding makes it a bit less obvious.

Ok, you tell us that we can leave the school if we dislike any part of it.

1. You assume that the school is an unchanging entity which we all must adhere to.

2. (My main point)

Ok, so we leave school. Then, why the heck did we have a prefect council which listened to the need of the students and subsequently proposed ideas to the senior administration for positive/negative changes to ACS(I)? Why the heck are IB students campaigning for student council positions (Apart from prestige >_>) and why is there a student council in the first place? To listen to the students and propose ideas! Why is there a suggestion box outside the ex-admin office? For people to place ideas for the higher authorities to read and ponder on the feasibility of said suggestion! Why is it empty?

Beats me.

Actually, no. Either it's because the student body is far too apathetic to care about whatever things happen to them, good or bad. The other possibility is that the authoritative body has failed in making themselves approachable to the students. Or there's the actual reason of it being placed in a stupid area. Though I'm inclined, of course, to believe all three and any other logical reason.

Point is, the council and other measures are present to make sure the school changes so as not to give the students hell. The "If you don't like it you can leave" idea is flawed in the sense that, well, there's those who're staying on because the education is good, not because they like the rules, and maybe they can't go to other schools because they came in with lower scores. Then you're just going to give them hell by forcing them to abide by rules they hate, regulations they despise, and so on. And when you say "If you don't like it you can leave", you make them feel even worse off because they can't leave, AND they don't like it. This is the reason the council is present, is it not? To prevent students from getting hell. Geez. =
Disclaimer: I have nothing agaisnt Mr. Sean Choo (If his name is actually Shaun then uhh oh well. >_>). I have something against the statement he had made. In fact, I didn't even know his name until today when Mrs Lee or whoever she was mentioned his name >_>

If I sound offensive, you are misinterpreting the post and the reason behind writing this post. I do not intend to remove this post because thus far I have not broke any boundaries previously mentioned by Dr. Ong:

I've not flamed Mr Sean Choo, I've proved his statement false. Without any vulgarities to boot. >_>
I've backed up my statement with facts to the best of my capability
And uhh so on and so forth. >_>

No comments: